The C.N. James Log Cabin, located in Augusta, Kansas, is part of the Augusta Historical Society. The cabin was constructed in 1868 and is one of the oldest structures in Augusta and Butler County. These old log cabins used old fashioned mortar chinking to hold the logs together, and although this type of sealant can crack over time, this cabin is still standing today through careful restoration and preservation.
The cabin is constructed from cottonwood logs which were found on the nearby Walnut River. These logs have been carefully preserved and re-stained throughout the years to help them maintain their original appearance. They are gigantic for a log structure – some of the logs are over a foot in width. The building was constructed by the early pioneers that came to the town of Augusta and stands at one and a half stories tall. It has been used for many different purposes over the years, including a schoolhouse, boarding house, wood workshop, and residence, but its initial purpose was a trading post. It was known as the Shamleffer and James Trading Post, and the pioneers of Augusta came here to trade their wares.
The Augusta Historical Society purchased the cabin in 1939. It was then restored to become a museum, which is still available to tour today. The cabin is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is one of just two structures in the entire state of Kansas on the register to be still located on its original site. Many tourists come through the cabin every year to see what life was like for the pioneers in Kansas. This cabin is one of the best examples of a well-preserved log cabin from its era. Through careful preservation, it is still solid and able to withstand weather and heavy foot traffic.